2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly butter cookie sheets... or better yet use Silpat Sheets ... I LOVE THEM!
- Sift fist 6 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat shortening, butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses to butter mixture and beat until blended.
- Mix in dry ingedients.
- Refrigerate dough one hour.
- Roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Dip quickly into ice water, then toll in sugar to coat
- Arrange on prepared sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are pale golden and cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 10 minutes.
- Let stand one minute before removing from cookie sheet. Best to use a metal spatula.
Let me know how you like them!